I am so ready for spring & summer to come that I try & trick myself into thinking it's here by making something summery to eat. This is one of those dishes. It's so easy & the pound cake is so versatile. It's just a great dessert. Lovely combination of fruit, cream & sweetness.
Oh & if you are wondering why it is called pound cake, here is a fun fact for you: Pound cake, which originated in Europe in the first half of the 18th century, initially weighed four pounds. That's because it called for a pound of each of four ingredients — flour, butter, eggs, and sugar — hence the name. Lucky for you guys, this cake uses WAY less butter, even compared to many of the recipes I researched & the sour cream gives it some extra moistness.
This would also be a perfect Valentine's Day dessert to make ahead of time & plate when you are ready for it. So easy & we really loved it. Especially my 3 year old boy. He kept asking for more bread! We had to tell him it was cake that was shaped like bread. Haha. Enjoy!
Recipe lightly altered from Our Best Bites Cookbook by: Amber (Dessert Now, Dinner Later!)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lb strawberries, rinsed, hulled, & sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda & salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter & sugar until light & fluffy; about 1 minute. Continue beating & add eggs, one at a time. Scrape the bowl. Add the 2 tsp vanilla & sour cream; incorporate.
- Slowly add the flour mixture while beating, & beat just until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 8" or 9" loaf pan (I grease & flour the sides & lay a cut-out strip of parchment paper on the bottom; makes it real easy to get out.)
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes & remove from pan; transfer to a cooling rack.
- Prepare whipped cream: Pour cream into a bowl & beat with an electric mixer for about 1 minute. Slowly add powdered sugar & 1 tsp vanilla. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Once cake is cooled, use a serrated knife to cut slices & then top with fresh strawberries & prepared whipped cream. Enjoy!