I am not a football kind of gal, but I know the Superbowl is coming up & a lot of people get together for that, so I thought I better share something to eat since I totally flaked out last year on some good party grub.
This is totally a man's type of snack. My husband even asked around his office what kind of recipe the men would like to make for the Superbowl. The census was in & these Garlic Cheese Sticks won! Now the homemade marinara is optional, because obviously if the wife is not fixing the snacks, & the husband is, we want something simple for him to do right? So opening up & heating a can of your favorite spaghetti sauce is acceptable, but I do have to say that the sauce is fairly quick & easy & freezes well too, so you might consider it.
Garlic Cheese Sticks with Marinara
Recipe by: Amber (Dessert Now, Dinner Later!)
Garlic Cheese Sticks
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 Tbsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 Tbsp margarine, softened
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp sugar (to cut the acidity of the tomatoes)
- In a medium sized bowl, dissolve yeast & sugar into warm water. Let mixture sit 5 minutes until it bubbles up.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt & 1 1/2 cups flour. Using a spoon give 50 good stirs until the mixture balls up & doesn't stick to the bowl, sprinkling dough with extra flour as necessary. Take dough out of bowl. Spray the inside of the bowl & put the dough back in. Cover with a towel & let rise for 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Meanwhile prepare the marinara: Heat oil in a large saucepan. Saute onion & garlic 1-2 minutes or until soft & fragrant. De-glaze pan with chicken broth. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, kosher salt, pepper, parsley & sugar. Stir & let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spray a pizza pan with pan-coating & turn the dough out onto the greased pan. Sprinkle the top with a dusting of flour & roll the dough out into a circle, like pizza crust about 1/4" thin.
- Spread the softened margarine on top of the dough. Sprinkle with garlic powder, kosher salt, & parsley. Then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 425*F for 11-12 minutes. Remove from pan, cut in half & then in strips to form sticks to dip in your fresh marinara sauce. Enjoy!