So it's still really cold outside & all I have been wanting is soup like crazy; obviously, since most of what I have blogged this month has been soups. This is a new recipe I came up with on a whim, but my husband deemed it blog-worthy, so I snapped a picture & am sharing the recipe with you. It has lots of flavor & wonderful chunks of potatoes, green beans & ground beef. Very warming & wonderful for these cold winter months!
Beef Potato & Green Bean Soup
Recipe by: Amber (Dessert Now, Dinner Later!)
- 1lb ground beef
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 medium red potatoes, halved lengthwise & then sliced thin
- 1 (14.5oz) can green beans
- In a large skillet, brown beef & break up with spatula. Season with salt & pepper & drain fat well. Set aside. (You might want to consider slightly rinsing the fat off the cooked beef with a little water to prevent an oily soup.)
- Combine milk, broth, onion soup mix, garlic powder, basil & cornstarch in a 4-6QT slow cooker. Whisk until cornstarch dissolves.
- Add sliced potatoes & cooked ground beef. Stir. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes are done.
- Heat up the whole can of green beans, liquid & all, in a small saucepan on the stove until boiling. Drain beans & add to the soup. Stir & serve.
*To cook on stove top: Cook & season beef; drain fat. Combine liquids & seasonings in a large pot. Add potatoes & cooked beef. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain & add green beans until heated through.